IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS!!

8/30/2010

For Michelle...because you are my friend!

I just had to make a quick post to talk about a woman who is such a great friend and inspiration to me!  

My friend, Michelle Nelson is an amazing person!  Throughout her life she has had trial after trial after trial and yet holds her head high and smiles through those troublesome times.  I wonder sometimes why she has to go through soooo much and was thinking about this today after we had talked on the phone for about an hour.  I just asked Heavenly Father, "Why does she have to have so many trials?".  Then the thought came, "Because she is strong and endures with faith and all of  this just makes her a blessing and inspiration to others".  I just said to myself "I couldn't do it...I'm not that strong!" 


I met Michelle about 20 years ago in Silver Lake, Washington.  We became instant friends.  We were both having babies and had even more babies at the same time!  When Alan and I moved 40 miles away, Michelle and I were on the phone almost daily.  One day she called and said, "Jana...I can't breathe.  It started last night while playing volleyball and I just can't catch a full breath."  I immediately told her to get to the doctor...I thought she might be having a heart attack and I was 40 miles away!  She did go to the doctor but what they found was not good.  Her blood showed signs of cancer.  A few weeks later, and many tests later, I was on the phone with her when another call came in.  She had been waiting for some tests results so we said a quick good-bye and hung up.  My phone rang less than a minute later and it was Michelle...she said "I have Lymphoma".  My heart stopped.  I was the first person she told and then she said "I'd better go and call Dave".  She was only 27 and had 4 very young children.  She fought it and fought it hard and won!!!  She is tough!  She is also cancer free.  


We haven't seen each other in over 10 years, yet when asked who my best friend is, my first reaction is "Michelle".  There have been years go by where we haven't been able to talk because her and her family were living in Singapore, so we lost a little touch except through cards.  She is back in the states, Utah, and even though she has just gone through a divorce...she's happier than she's been in years...although she never complained about her trials.  Today the phone call was to tell me that they've now found some complications with her health again...this time her heart.  Again, my own heart stopped.  She'll be having tests on Friday and meeting with the doctor and called to ask me to pray for her.  I told her not only will I pray for her but if she has to have surgery, I'll be there!!  


So who should ever read this post I would ask that you too pray for my best friend.  She is just a lovely, giving, generous, wonderful Mom, great cook and talented person and deserves to not have to worry about huge things that she can't control.  But knowing Michelle, she'll just smile!  


I love ya Michelle!  You are amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment